Scrapbook

Emily Graslie is a really interesting case study on how a “non-academic” can be just as effective as a formally-trained scientist

Very well-written gray literature.

https://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/86661/1/Lindstrom_Single_Microwave_Photons_with_editorial_comments_edited_with_refs.pdf

In can you hear the sound of a drum,

“…you should think of Maxwell-Boltzmann as the classical limit of quantum statistics, corresponding to high temperature and low density. Quantum effects become important when the average intermolecular distance is on the order of the de Broglie wavelength of the particles. Alternatively, one could say that classical statistics is valid as long as the probability that any given quantum state is occupied is much, much less than 1.”

The idea of an organism being able to detect the minuscule emissions from other organisms muscles is pretty spectacular. even better,

Another study emphasizing the need for “over-robust” studies.

The authors claimed that they calibrated their sample size to compute a p-value (alas) off a base rate of 2% infection in the general population.
The result is a small difference in the rate of infection in favor of masks (2.1% vs 1.8%, or 42/2392 vs. 53/2470), deemed by the authors as not sufficient to warrant a conclusion about the effectiveness of masks.

The question seems to have been, “what is the minimum number of participants and minimum resources for which our effect size can be seen?”, rather than “what is the best study we can possibly obtain within the constraints of our funding?”

But the third reason these trials could be run so quickly is that the statistical methods, developed over decades of research, were already in place for determining the necessary sample sizes, randomization protocols, interim stopping rules, and analyses.

Density functional theory (DFT) calculations showed that silicon atoms tend to form such honeycomb structures on silver, and adopt a slight curvature that makes the graphene-like configuration more likely. However, such a model has been invalidated for Si/Ag(110): the Ag surface displays a missing-row reconstruction upon Si adsorption [8] and the honeycomb structures observed are tip artefacts.[9]

Might be interesting to do a series on When science goes wrong - focusing on the oneces that don’t work, that scientists may not be exposed to regularly

https://people.csail.mit.edu/rivest/Chaffing.txt

Charles does not know the secret authentication key used between Alice and Bob! Alice and Bob did not even want or care to have confidential communications! Charles is not using encryption and does not know any encryption key! Amazing!

tfw an ibm 650 program has better documentation than many modern codes

./configure make equivalnet on an ibm 650

In Coqual’s study on “Executive Presence and Multicultural Professionals”, they found that when multicultural professionals (African American, Asian and Hispanic individuals) do get feedback, “data shows they’re unclear as to how to act on it, particularly if they were born outside the U.S.”

In HBR’s study “Vague feedback is holding women back,” they found that “women consistently received less feedback tied to business outcomes. The vague feedback lets women know they are generally doing a good job, but it does not identify which specific actions are valued or the positive impact of their accomplishments.” Their research highlighted that this vague feedback is correlated to lower performance review ratings for women, but not for men.

So: explicitly connect the dots between the (factual and specific!) behavior you’re seeing from your teammate and the outcomes that your team or organization care about. If you can’t describe how your teammates’ behavior directly relates to important business outcomes, don’t give that feedback.

https://www.lume.ufrgs.br/bitstream/handle/10183/71966/000683534-02.pdf?sequence=2

Bones are piezoelectric. It is

makes some sort of sense - spaceflight causes bone density loss, impacts, maybe, although t

IT HAS been suggested by several authors
(Bassett and Becker, 1962; Bassett, 1968;
Bassett, 197 1; Becker and Bachman, 1966)
that the piezoelectric properties of bone play
an important role in the development and growth remodeling of the skeleton. The evidence for this relationship is primarily indirect, and consequently not without controversy. It is generally agreed, however, that the internal structure and external form of bones can be modified as a result of the loads acting on the bones

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01137528/document

Three ways of modelling gravity:

• classical particle based (singularities, uh oh)
  • Continuum
  • MAG

https://sockpuppet.org/blog/2014/04/30/you-dont-want-xts/

Disk encryption schemes

The only people to identify the correct underlying issue, in my opinion, were people from the private sector, such as Brendan Bouffler from AWS:

Too much reliance on ‘free’ labour - postgrads and postdocs, who, invariably, decide that burning their time being mechanical turks for their ‘superiors’ just sucks, so they come and work for us. And since we pay $, we’re not gonna waste them on things software can do.

The same argument got made by R&D research staff in the private sector. Their time actually has value; as a result, it gets valued.

In academic research computing, partly because of low salaries — especially for the endless stream of trainees — but also because we typically provide research computing systems for free, we tend to put roughly zero value on people’s time.

so much this! this is very much like wet-lab work. You have grad students that could be making ~60k/yr in industry, just pipetting fluids around all day, even though automation totally does this

Another knockout paper.

• Very well written press release, all the right stress in all the right places.
  • very high quality research
  • Open access publication.

One more thing:

• very detailed methods section.

Supernatant was discarded, and the pellet, which was slightly yellow and sticky, was resuspended in 5 ml of phosphate-buffered saline (PBS) (pH 7.4, Gibco).

reminds me a lot of good Delbruck papers. Qualitative info is provided.

Was curious about the mechanisms underlying pattern formation in snakes. Calicos have stripes of genes - is a similar process

Venetian glassmaking grew in importance to the city’s economy. Around 1271 the local glassmakers’ guild made rules to help preserve glassmaking secrets. It was forbidden to divulge trade secrets outside of Venice. If a glassworker left the city without permission, he would be ordered to return.[Note 3] If he failed to return, his family would be imprisoned. If he still did not return, an assassin would be sent to kill him. Additional rules specified ingredients used for making glass and the type of wood used as fuel for the furnaces.[10]

The invention of I.P. protection

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2015/02/09/24741/

Taken from an article on reviewing the collected works of Stokes talking about the origin of the famous Naiver-Stokes equations:

“[Article Writer] In recalling his early days at Cambridge, STOKES wrote ‘I thought I would try my hand at original research; and, following a suggestion made by Mr. Hopkins while reading for my degree, I took up the subject of Hydrodynamics, then at a rather low ebb in the general reading of the place, notwithstanding that George Green, who had done such admirable work in this and other departments, was resident in the University till he died.’ The basis upon which STOKES built his great theory of internal friction seems to have been a little reading and much daring and powerful pure thought:

[Stokes] In reflecting on the principles according to which the motion of a fluid ought to be calculated when account is taken of the tangential force, and consequently the pressure not supposed the same in all directions, I was led to construct the theory explained in the first section of this paper. … I afterwards found that Poisson had written a memoir on the same subject, and on referring to it I found that he had arrived at the same equations. The method which he employed was however so different from mine that I feel justified in laying the latter before this Society. (The same equations have also been obtained by Navier in the case of an incompressible fluid…, but his principles differ from mine still more than they do from Poisson’s) The leading principles of my theory will be found in the hypotheses of Art. I, and in ARt. 3.

[Article writer] Imagine the reception some dusty editor, nincompoop processional society, or book manufacturer’s clerk would give these lines today if they were submitted by a young college teacher, twenty-four years old and with no more than three short papers to his list of publications! An objective, impersonal, scientific style must be used, not to mention our system of references! The following revision is suggested:

[Fake Revised Stokes] In the present paper, hereinafter referred to as Ref. 1, a theory of unequal-in-all-directions internal fluid pressure is derived for compressible or incompressible viscous flows. No slip viscosity initial boundary conditions are preferred to slip stick slip. Basic operational definitions and laws are given in Sec 1 and Sec 3. It is seen that similar relationships have been derived by Poisson (Ref. 2) and Navier (Ref. 3). Pointing out the hypotheticalness of the intermolecular (interatomic) for laws in Ref. 2 and Ref. 3 it is felt by the present author that the physical basis of the theory of Ref. 1 is to hopefully be preferred by the good-physics-knowing theoretician.

[Article Writer] The catastrophe that has befallen the language of science in the past hundred years is only the outer dress of the catastrophe to method and thought and taste in natural philosophy.”

[me] The authors sarcasm fall’s flat today, but Stokes original lines would be written much worse than the joke revision suggests. Where’s the acronyms?

Arkyd satillite telescope is an example of not havibg a steering comittee leading to a waste of a lot of peoples money

good going on making public domain tho!