Notes on feeding oneself

Containers

I use two brands of containers, Rubbermade Snap-and-lock 7 and 5 cup, and Rubbermaid Take-alongs, 4 cup.

This is hardly worth writing down - just in case I want to buy more lids at some point.

It takes a long time to thaw food in the microwave at work: since a line forms, it almost seems worthwhile to take the next day’s food out of the freezer the day before.

Tahini. Good alternative to peanut butter. Walmart carries it here, next to the peanut butter.

Ran the ground beef + rice.

made the rice too late, it was 11 pm when it was done. need to have a lot of free time when I start the process, since I don’t want to freeze the rice.

Rice was not fully cooked - ran the cooker for 100 minutes with two cups of water and two cups of parboiled rice. Had to freeze the rest.

Still, though, got 3 solid meals. Two $2 cans of peas and corn, a $5 frozen cauliflower, so it came to <$7/meal. Mixed it in the new mixing bowl, worked great.

Have a ‘T-’ structure for timing so that everything comes together.

Problem is that I usually get inblate and cooking is too loud

I bought a set of large nesting mixing bowls from Canadian Tire with lids they’re microwave safe and dishwasher safe these have been a great investment I can mix large portions of food together without making big mess and steaming frozen veggies in a medium size with the lid partially on works great.

quinoa - greek salad dressing - feta cheese in the dressing

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/107468-not-eating-enough-calories-but-still-not-hungry/

Put down paper towel before doing messy cooking

Chopped bagged cauliflower

Bought four rice milk jugs from Walmart, they were all weirdly clumpy. I’ve always assumed that means they’re bad.

Rice milk is enriched, has vitamins

apparently you can freeze rice milk as well.

Add cornstarch to peas to dry out

the Knor bullion cubes have MSG. I am convinced that MSG doesn’t have any effects, there’s good evidence for this, so I don’t care, but some people care.

Bought a bigger strainer so that beans don’t go everywhere when rinsing them. Made a big difference.

canned beets? little messy

Got pretty rough mouth ulcers after eating applesauce in oatmeal and canned pears on the same day.

Most important thing is that ground turkey, beef, needs to be cooked without freezing. takes way, way too long otherwise. can be frozen afterwards.

broccoli slaw

can be frozen apparently.

there’s frozen diced avocado: not really a fan.

scramble eggs overnight?

previously used sliced turkey ($7) for this, but it doesn’t last long in the fridge, only a few days - you can’t really keep it in the freezer because you can’t peel slices off when it’s frozen