Repetitive strain injury logbook

backspace is another very highly used key that might do with some re-mapping.

A guide to home row mods - mod-taps, hold down keys to get modifiers, but there’s limitations, since people type multiple keys simultaneously at high speeds

only did ~4 hrs of work and my mouse hand is, once again, killing me.

Moly HaH

i’ve come across a tool called nerd dictation.

not quite certain yet whether it’ll be sufficient for my daily use

After switching to the giga- model,

Using a headset that rejects ambient noise and picks up your voice very accurately seems to be crucial. professional typists have microphones which go over the mouth. Using the front mic jack on my desktop introduced too much noise; i got much better results by using an external usb sound card.

with this setup and a Logitech G432 headset, I’ve been able to dictate some real work.

I wasn’t able to find foam balls of the sort my physiotherapist (Phil Fitzpatrick) suggested. I bought an “Everlast Hand Therapy Kit” with three different balls, but they’re definitely not right - hard durometer, don’t compress when you squeeze them.

from Sportchek,

these balls seem to be perfect.

Had another RSI flare up. Coincident with nerve Glide pain. In fact the nerve Glide is such an obvious marker that it seems like it would be a reasonable beginning of an investigation.

Here nerve Glide means throwing away the Q-tip.

Came across something called a roller bar Mouse mainly manufactured by Contour.

Bought one on eBay. It fits rather nicely against the K360, although the K860 is a non-starter.

I lost it last night, got really stressed that I hadn’t made enough progress towards a big project ( which I hadn’t). Worked on till 2:00 in the morning with a couple hours break at about 7:00 p.m. at about 8:00 p.m. Used the Roller Mouse with both hands when I got home. I exercised my arms strenuously throughout the full range of shoulder motion with an 8 lb weight. Then in the morning I worked another 3 hours severely.

My hands are killing me, especially my left, which feels very much like it did a year ago. Certain positions of the elbow and shoulder will produce a dull pain in the wrist, and there’s a constant nerve dullness in my upper inside arm, tingling in the palm, weakness holding things like pens.

Woke up with a persistently numb left hand. Tips of fingers are tingling when I open my left hand. I should note that yesterday in the previous day’s project was predominantly programming not very much text. For some reason, perhaps because of the different modifiers, I find I program very aggressively now, trying to type quickly.

I’m using nerd dictation in practice now alternating between most keyboard and dictation is a very efficient strategy

Rather than setting breaks at regular intervals I should instead of having a counter maybe with certain fingers (mapped) with an exponential decay monitoring each keystroke, and with a speed . after a certain value need to wait for the Decay to return to its previous

I bought a used generation one kinesis advantage on ebay for $250.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kinesisadvantage/comments/i1apu4/any_resources_to_learn_typing_on_advantage/

Despite how bad i thought the last incident was, my hands recovered reasonably quickly, faster than before.

I believe i’ve been doing the the hand and wrist exercises incorrectly.

if you slow it down considerably, you can get the muscles to enter a regime where they start to burn.

Regimen:

workrave

This is verging on pretty personal, but it’s interesting to see how being anxious, stressed, dull, etc, can interact with . I have over-strained my fingers and hainds a few times, not just typing, but also trying to for instance move heavy cabinets, loosen stuck bolts which later I wonder why I tried so hard rather than slowing down, getting different tools wit more leverage, etc.

painscience.com - great resource haven’t mentioned.

after using it for a while, Kinesis better (though far from a panacea) . don’t have the same muscle memroy so I type much slower and more carefully. loud disrupt forces slower

the mx ergo is great. no wrist pain and my thumb doesn’t seem to be worse for wear

Used a regular workstaton for about 19 hours straight, got the classic mouse hand wrist forearm pain and tingling.

very little ‘pulling’ on the left hand when doing q-tip nerve glides. right hand is seriously bad