Notes on feeding oneself

Janes precooked breaded microwave chicken strips are $17/700g. A tray of chicken breast is usually $12 and averages 0.5 kg, roughly $20/kg. So the chicken strips are slightly more expensive - not seriously more though.

Added 4 cups of frozen veggies to the instant pot before cooking the rice, trying to save some time. Worked great.

Co-op has

• Frozen broccoli. $14 for 1.25 kg seems like a lot, 1.1/100g vs 0.7/100g for fresh.
  • 8 kg bags of rice.

canned Baked beans

canned chilli

chilli at the ag cafe, really hearty

pipeline with multiple instant pots

More than 2 fried eggs in a sitting and I feel sick

Tablespoon of turmeric was too much when added to a 4-cup rice mix.

Wraps

Want something I can eat as e.g. breakfast or snack, waiting at the bus stop, or as a proper meal, something I don’t necessarily need to cook, but not e.g. a sandwich with luncheon meats since I find they’re just so expensive for the calories.

bought:

• pkg of 3 Romaine hearts from co-op $4
  • 3 lb bag of onions from co-op $4
  • tray of 4 chicken breasts from independent ($25), I’m hoping I can substitute with a can of tuna for a variation
  • PC creamy coleslaw dressing as the sauce.

Cooked the chicken breasts in the pressure cooker for 20 mins.

Washed romaine hearts and shook dry.

put down a plain wraps

half a chicken breast per wrap is a good amount.

1 tbsp of dressing is a good

170 cals per wrap, + ~150 cals for half a chicken breast = ~320 cals/wrap. Roughly $4/wrap. Would need 8 wraps per day to get 2500 cals, which would be $32. Damn.

However! if I split that half-breast into 4 wraps, I’d get 700 cals just from the tortillas! That’s more like it. 3 meals of 4

Also need ~50 - 60 g of protein / day. Tuna has ~20g, chicken about 50. So two chicken breasts or four cans tuna would do it. Kidney beans and chickpeas also have a good amount.

Apparently romaine freezes pretty well.

Trying to cook frozen broccoli and quinoa at the same time.

6 cups water, 4 cups fzn broc, heating until boiling, then 3 cups quinoa.

6/3 was too mushy, but can’t add more quinoa because the pot was almost overflowing. Need less water. 5/3 probably.

a trick mentioned on an adhd reddit is to focus on a single recipe and repeat it every day for a period and get proficient at it, rather than trying to juggle multiple recipes in a mealplan. I like this idea.

Adding froz. broc. to a wrap doesn’t really work. too much water. might work if I leave them to thaw for a while.

need much more than one pack of wraps when I buy them.

I tend to use chickpeas, black beans, butter, and cannellini beans most often when I’m making these wraps, but broad beans, pinto beans and red kidney beans

I should reduce the number of types of canned beans I use. having trouble keeping track of how many I have and what is needed for which recipes, and they’re pretty much interchangeable.

6-bean blend is probably a good way to do this. not sure if it’ll work in kale soup.

Decision

• Quinoa & beans: 6-bean blend + lentils
  • Bean stir-fry: 6-bean blend works again
    Cuscus and beans - again, 6-bean blend

well, I thought baked beans are good, but the amount of sugar they’ve got is absurd. 20 g for half a cup?!

I like how saveonfoods has their items online

Flaked Pink Salmon

might be worth picking up

adding vegetable broth to quinoa apparently makes it taste good